Match Report
Saint Ronan's School Boys-U12A vs  Ashdown House
On: Wednesday, 16 Jan 2019
Venue: Away

On a wet and dark afternoon the U12s played an enlivening match at Ashdown House. It was a ding dong affair. We scored a textbook team try from a scrum inside our 22. Won by the pack, scrum half and captain Kit provided a deep-set backline with quality front-foot ball. Barnaby, Hector, Jack and Jaxson each took the ball forward beautifully and cleverly passed it, wider still, before defenders could make any contact. Jasper, strategically stationed on the far side wing, received the cherished ball in space and raced powerfully forwards, untouched, for nearly the length of the pitch to score a magical try! Ashdown scored soon after as we fell off a few early tackles. More skillful handling of the soapy ball, combined with sure-footed evasion and a willingness to pass and support, led to our second try by Henry on the other wing! Again, however, we conceded soon afterwards to make it 2-2 at half time. Ashdown House began the second half with great purpose. We defended more valiantly but still they came. Our defensive line speed was slacking. They scored to take the lead and momentum was with them. They came at us again and again, patiently wearing us down, ruck after ruck. We struggled to turn them over as there was no contest in the tackle and their rucking was reliable. We held them up over the line with increasing defensive commitment but they scored again when they managed to create a 1 v 1 out on the short-side wing. This try sparked us into life. We did not kick the ball away aimlessly, as we'd been prone to do, but worked hard to get it in our hands and keep it. A great counter-ruck led to an attacking surge and a try from Tom P; how wonderful to see the prop supporting his wing so superbly! The clock was running down, with Ashdown House still one ahead. Momentum had shifted but could we make it count? Sweeping forward, we won a scrum 10m from the try line. This was our moment. Unfortunately we didn't control the ball at the back of the scrum and it came flying out, much to Kit’s dismay. He scrambled back to scoop up the untidy ball and, gritting his teeth, somehow managed to find a way to score the equalizer! With a minute to play, we could have won this but unfortunately we squandered possession and the final whistle was blown on an epic match!